Sunday 13 March 2011

Shopoholics Anonymous


Picture from: Pinterest 


Hello Girlies! Long time no see!

My apologies for the absence, I've been busy and having man-troubles! Gah! But it's all good now and I'm back better than ever! :)

Anyway, I wanted to fill you in on my latest challenge. I've given up shopping for lent. I'm still allowing myself to buy: Food (of course!) and other actual essential thing like shampoo and conditioner and that's about it!

I know its shocking! and I may single handedly put Britain back into a recession! But it had got to the point where everytime I went out shopping I would HAVE to buy something or I would come home disapointed. None of this 'window-shopping' stuff. Genuine purchases. Which is just ridiculous because my wardrobe is literally bulging. I don't even have room for all the clothes I do have at the moment let alone buying new ones!

Now, just to make things clear, shopping in itself isn't really a bad thing. It's just when you shop to fill a void or make yourself feel better or because you're bored that it becomes a problem. I know I'm terrible for buying things when I'm stressed or upset, does it make me feel better? short term, yes, long term no because then I have no money and I'm still stressed!



Picture by Luca Mainni

Lets get one thing straight, I love love love shopping like the next girl but shopping, in itself, is never going to make you happy. When I went travelling I met people who, to me, were poor. They didn't have two pennies to rub together. But it made me realise (and this may sound like a cliche!) but they actually had rich lives because they had close families and friends and were able to see the humour in every situation, and that's real happiness!
 The other thing which I'm terrible for is buying things I don't need just because it's a bargain. Red shoes only £15?! I NEED them! but do I need them when I have 4 other pairs of red shoes at home? . . . . If you're saying yes,
then you're wrong! ha ha!

Good anti-shopping websites:
Guardian Thrift Guide: How to Stop Shopping
How to stop shopping: Sophie-Kinsella's guide to keeping shopping addiction check

So, do you find yourself making snap purchases? Do you think I'll be able to last 40 days and 40 nights or do you think I'll start going crazy and have to do 200 fashion blog posts a day to satisfy my shopping needs?

Who knows? Maybe I'll cave the next time I'm in Primark! We'll just have to see . . .

Hugs and Cupcakes,



1 comment:

  1. Someone said, if you have to give something up for Lent just to prove you can do it, you're a proper addict. Like Me with choc!
    x x

    ReplyDelete